Saturday, April 25, 2009

DAY 4: OH-La-La Cooperative.

Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009

First I need to apologize to all of you for not getting this post up Wednesday (I especially need to apologize to my mother who has been religiously checking my blog to ensure I am ok… Mother, lo siento), I am a few days behind on my posts. The internet connection I was using has not been the best lately. Wednesday proved to be quite the busy day. This was the day I was waiting for, Ulala day. Not only is it a fantastic word to say (Ulala is the word for the cactus flower here in Bolivia. It is pronounced: Ooh-la-la), it is a wonderful cooperative to visit. I also had to work on my business plan… Back in the US, I am a finalist in DePaul University’s Venture Challenge with Solidarity Clothing’s other line, www.GREENOLAstyle.com. My final plan was due the next day, Thurday. I always turn in things at the last minute. Not because I procrastinate, but because I have to re-read it a million times.

All the doctors left to Santa Cruz Tuesday night leaving me to fend for myself. I love this feeling… I THRIVE in this feeling. How better to challenge your mind, courage and strength than to submerge yourself in an uncomfortable situation (the uncomfortableness being my very limited spanish vocabulary)? My spanish is improving each day and I am learning that a good giggle after a completely ridiculous sentence works quite well. Bolivianos are so patient and don’t mind my favorite word, “despacio (slowly).” I do have to say, I am surprising myself.

DAY 4: Ulala Cooperative.

This morning Jose (my colleague) came to the hotel to pick me up. The hotel staff wouldn’t let me leave until I ate some breakfast (of course I would never tell them the breakfast always gives me a stomach ache). They are so wonderful and just love hearing me attempt spanish. I have worked with Jose for a little more than a year but never really had a good conversation with him due to the language barrier. I have learned so much about him in this last week through our broken spanish/broken english conversations. This is such a wonderful thing. I feel so much closer to him, hearing his goals, and hopes for Solidarity Clothing. I know that together we will create such a positive change in the world. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with every thing I am doing; running two companies while taking five classes at DePaul University. Never again will I complain when I this feeling approaches and I have to go to my three hour spanish class every Friday. It has certainly paid off.

Ulala Cooperative is one of my favorites. These women are true entrepreneurs who show so much pride in their work. Every time I visit they are quick to show me their new styles, asking how I think they can improve and increase their market. In my previous visits I have had a translator. This for some reason made the visits feel very professional and business like. This time, it was me and my spanish. WOW! This visit was truly amazing, AMAZING. I now am able to communicate with them (and they could actually understand me). Because of this, so much energy filled their bodies. Women who I thought were shy wouldn’t stop talking. At one point we were all huddled around the table, shoulder to shoulder, laughing and all talking at once. I had a permanent smile on my face. They were so pleased that I learned spanish and could understand what they were saying. Nobody could ask me enough questions. They wanted to learn all about the US, my family, and the style women wear. I had them do a product sample for Lola-ola (my love and golden retriever) with out them really know what it was (only because I really couldn’t explain it at the time of the request). The sample turned out fantastic and when I explained what exactly it will be used for, they couldn’t believe it. “Who would buy a product for their dog? That is crazy,” they said. Ha! As you all know, we Americans are crazy when it comes to our dogs. I showed them a picture of Lola as I explained the American dog market… pet hotels, manicures, grooming, massage, pet psychology, etc. Many hands were brought to their mouths in shock. As I was laughing at the reactions I noticed one of the older women in off to the side with what looked to me as a look of complete disgust. Oh, my laughing stopped. Maybe I offended her with my crazy American spending habits… All of a sudden she stood up and said, “I love dogs! This is very interesting. Tell me how we can get into this market. Show me your dogs. What sizes do I need to make? Let’s make sweaters. What colors?” We then went on to talk about dogs for a good hour. HA! Even when I was getting ready to leave she pulled me aside and said, “Please tell me the size of your dogs. This is a great thing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment